13 April 2005

Democrats slide even deeper into irrelevance

I must admit ... I made a mistake in my post from yesterday. I stated that there are three ways to judge a state party and its chairman - winning elections, registering voters and message. I obviously overlooked perhaps the most important factor in guaging the success or failure of a political party - the amount of money raised. According to the , the Florida Democratic Party and Chairman Scott Maddox are failing miserably in this area as well.

Today the Miami Herald reported that the state Republican Party raised more than 10 times the amount of money that was raised by the Florida Democratic Party since the beginning of 2005. According to state records, the GOP raised a total of $3,051,553.51, while the Democratic Party raised only $272,947.63. You don't have to be a mathematician to realize that this is bad.

Democrats should ask themselves some serious questions. Why has Maddox been so inept in raising money for the state party? Is it because he is simply unable to raise the money? Or is it because the chairman is purposely not raising money so he can hit party donors for himself when he declares his candidacy for governor?

These are questions that need to be asked. Now, let's see if Florida Dems have to courage to answer them.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

My answer would be that the Republicans got their money off of two things

1. Special interests: when your party has the executive and the legislative to such a great extent, special interests know who they have to win over. So Republicans get all of that money.

2. Republicans won in 2004. Happy Republicans threw money back at the party because they were pleased with the win.

3. They've been raising more money for a while now. The reason I think it's by so much more is because of (1) and (2).

I've question Maddox before, but I don't question him on intentionally not raising money. I'm sure he's trying his best.

Maybe thinking about higher office is keeping him busy and moving his attention away from other things. I don't know, and I'm not alleging that. But I think it's a good way you may can fall back on a softer position.

Great blog by the way.

2:17:00 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

By the way, I can count. That's 3 things. I meant two things that are "new."

2:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home